Skip to main content
Menu Menu

Student Handbook

The South Regional TAFE Student Handbook contains valuable information which will help your time training with us.

Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the contents in the menus below

Or download a copy of the Student Handbook 2024 (526 KB) (Word document)

Adult learning environment

South Regional TAFE is a Vocational Education and Training organisation and is different from school. Our students range from mid-teens to retirees and our aim is to prepare students for the workforce. TAFE is an adult learning environment and you are expected to take responsibility for your own learning and act in a mature manner.


Attending Class

If you cannot attend classes, we expect you to notify your lecturer. This approach promotes good relations and helps protects your interests.

A Medical Certificate should be provided if you are unwell for a required assessment. We recommend you discuss with your lecturer about rescheduling an alternative date for the assessment.

Attendance is recorded in every class. If you are under the age of 18 and you are absent from a scheduled class, your parent/guardian will be notified.


Dress Code

As you are studying for employment your clothing and footwear should be appropriate to the workplace. Lecturers will inform you on your specific requirements which may include: uniforms, personal protective clothing, footwear, securing of hair, and name badges.


Work placement and work practice

Some courses may require work placement or work practice in industry. Before placement you may need to meet certain industry conditions, for example obtaining a police clearance, first aid certificate, etc.

In work placements, you are expected to act professionally and meet the normal behavioural standards of the industry (dress code, work hours, medical certificate if absent from work, etc) and must keep an approved logbook to satisfy the competency standards of work placement.


Computer use and student applications

For all information about how to access student applications, portals, resources and account information please visit the Current Students(opens in a new tab) page.


Learning Resource Centre

You can access help with research and study resources from a broad range of databases, equipment and current technologies at our Learning Resource Centres at the Albany and Bunbury campuses.

Professional library staff can help with research and support with your studies. The bookshops in the Albany and Bunbury libraries stock essential stationery and course textbooks.



Students, parents and guardians should be aware that the TAFE insurance does not cover students, whether participating in classes or otherwise, for personal accidents through misadventure nor loss or damage of personal belongings, except in certain circumstances.


Student Code of Conduct

All students and staff have a right to expect a safe and harmonious learning environment while attending South Regional TAFE.

The Student Code of Conduct helps ensure an atmosphere of mutual understanding, respect and professionalism in a supportive learning environment.


Awards, prizes and competitions

As a student, you have the opportunity to be rewarded for your efforts. It is not only the students with best results recognised, hard work and commitment is often rewarded.

An annual Awards Ceremony(opens in a new tab) is held in Term 1 to recognise the most outstanding students who have completed their studies the previous year. This event recognises students across all campuses and study areas.

For students under the age of 18 the South Regional TAFE has an extra duty of care which we explain in our Duty of Care Policy for Minors policy(opens in a new tab) . This duty of care will be discussed with you and your parent or guardian at the time of enrolment.

Key points to remember are:

  • your absence will be reported to your parent or guardian.
  • if you are an apprentice, your absence will be reported to your employer.
  • a lecturer must obtain permission from your parent or guardian for you to participate in any off campus excursions.
  • if sickness develops during the day you may ask your lecturer to leave class early to go home in which case the South Regional TAFE will provide a quiet waiting area while we contact your parent or guardian to collect you from the campus.

Student Services

Staff offer assistance or advice on how to overcome a range of issues which may affect your personal or professional goals while studying with us.  The helpful and supportive team are simply a phone call or office visit away. For more information visit their webpage.


During your training you may feel like giving up on your course and just ‘dropping out’.

There are all sorts of reasons for feeling this way, such as:

  • the course is not right for me;
  • the level is too hard; the workload is too great;
  • I have money problems; or
  • I have personal problems which are affecting my study.


Before you decide to leave your course, please have a chat with your lecturer or Student Services staff. There may be ways to get around or reduce your problem such as:

  • transferring to another course;
  • reducing your workload;
  • managing your time better;
  • putting you in touch with expert counselling and support services.


Our staff are very experienced at dealing with these issues and suggesting alternate strategies and they would love to help.


Aboriginal Student Support

Aboriginal Programs coordinators and staff are available to provide support and guidance about vocational education and training to Aboriginal students.


International Student Support

Student Services team assist international students(opens in a new tab) from pre-enrolment to graduation to ensure your learning experience is rewarding and enjoyable.

We are here to help you with:

  • support and assistance
  • course progress and attendance requirements
  • visa conditions
  • study area liaison
  • change of personal details
  • orientation information


Disability, medical and mental health conditions

If you have a disability, medical or mental health condition that may affect your studies, a range of services is available to assist you access and participate in your training.

Services include:

  • Alternative formats for texts and other learning materials
  • Alternative assessments and adjustments such as extra time, note-taker support or oral assessment
  • Individual study support such as note-taker, tutor, in-class assistant
  • Access to facilities and parking
  • Specialised and ergonomic equipment including height-adjustable tables
  • Adaptive technology and software
  • Ongoing support

If you need assistance, contact your lecturer, Disability Officer or Student Services staff. For more information visit the Student Services webpage(opens in a new tab) .

All enquiries are confidential.


Temporary parking permits

These permits are available for students who have a medical condition or disability, temporary or permanent that causes mobility difficulties. For more information, contact the Disability Officer or Student Services.


Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan

Students who require emergency evacuation assistance or an alternative evacuation plan should contact their lecturer to develop a Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan.


Health Support Plan

Students who have a medical or mental health condition that may require an emergency response/care should contact the Disability Officer or Student Services to develop a Health Support Plan.  


Counselling service

A free student counselling service is available to enrolled students across all 12 campuses who are experiencing any difficulties that may affect their training.

A counsellor will meet with students in person or on the phone, and can also make referrals to community and health support groups and organisations.

There are two counsellors, who are each based in Albany and Bunbury.

The service operates between 8:30am to 3:30pm on Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday each week that classes are scheduled.

How students make an appointment

Albany: Call 6371 3596  email visit the counsellor’s office in D18.

Bunbury: Call 6371 3112 email or visit the counsellor’s office in the library.


Equal opportunities

The college is committed to the principles of equal opportunity and seeks to eliminate all forms of discrimination by ensuring students are treated with fairness, respect and dignity. Staff are governed by the Student Access and Equity Policy and the Staff Code of Conduct.

The Equal Opportunity Act makes it unlawful to discriminate in the following areas: sex, marital status, pregnancy, breastfeeding, race, religious conviction, political conviction, impairment, family status, family responsibility, age, sexual orientation, gender history and spent convictions.

If you have a grievance related to equal opportunity or harassment of any nature contact Student Support for referral to a contact officer. Regional students should contact their campus managers.



Scholarships for studies are offered in January and May. The scholarships may offer credit towards the cost of enrolment fees, books and other course requirements.


Financial hardship fee waivers

Students can apply for a waiver of all fees and charges on the grounds of severe financial hardship.

South Regional TAFE uses the criteria required by Department of Training and Workforce Development Fees and Charges Policy when assessing an application.


Fee waivers are not available for Fee-For-Service / Commercial courses or International students. Students who are under 18 and in State Care should speak directly to Student Services.

For further information, including full criteria and an application form, please contact Student Services.

Suggestions, problems and complaints

South Regional TAFE welcomes feedback and encourages suggestions and complaints. If you have a problem, complaint or suggestion that you feel we should know about, please tell any staff member or speak to a member of the Student Services team.

You can lodge feedback directly:

•           by submitting your comments via a form on our website

•           ask for a hardcopy form at administration areas, Student Services or your lecturer

Privacy and confidentiality is assured. We only ask for you to provide your contact details on the form to enable us to tell you how we were able to respond to your feedback.

If you would like help to make a complaint or provide feedback, please visit our webpage (opens in a new tab) or contact Student Services. 

Change of Student details or Enrolment

If you change your name, your contact details, or guardianship arrangements, a Student Details Amendment to contact details form should be used to advise the college.


Certification and Academic records

Once you have successfully completed your course, the college will issue you with the relevant certification documentation in accordance with national standards.

This may include:

  • Certificate – issued to learners who have met all the requirements of a VET qualification.
  • Record of Achievement – must be issued with a certificate.
  • Statement of Attainment – issued to certify completion of one or more units from a VET qualification or accredited short course (partial completion of a qualification).
  • Academic Record – issued as notification of results.


Students are able to enquire about their academic records at any time during normal office hours. You will need to identify yourself before any information is released. If you wish another person to have access to your records you need to sign an Authorisation for Release of Information Held by South Regional TAFE form. If you have any enquiries regarding access to your records, see administration staff at your campus.


Withdrawals and Refunds

If you want to withdraw from any unit of competency or the entire qualification please advise your lecturer, Student Services or administration.

To withdraw from any unit or the whole course you need to complete an ‘Application for Withdrawal from class’ form. This form is available in your area of study or the campus administration.

You may be eligible for a full or partial refund in accordance with the Department of Training and Workforce Development VET Fees and Charges Policy 2022.

Students who withdraw are entitled to a full refund of the applicable course fee, resource fee and other fees where:

  • a unit is cancelled or re-scheduled to a time unsuitable to the student; or
  • a student is not given a place due to maximum number of places being reached.

A full refund of fees can be made at any time during delivery if a class is cancelled because of declining student numbers, no available lecturer, and other circumstances caused by RTO.


Students who withdraw and lodge a Withdrawal Form before the census/withdrawal date for a unit will be eligible for a full refund of the course fee for the unit; and

  • a full refund of the resource fee if the course is a Diploma or Advanced Diploma course; or
  • 50% of the resource fee if the course is below Diploma level.

To be eligible for a partial refund, you must submit the application form within 20% of the completion of your program of study. Refer to your enrolment form which will have this census date for each unit listed.  Refunds are made by Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT).


South Regional TAFE can approve a pro rata refund of fees and charges at any time during the course of delivery if students withdraw for reasons of personal circumstances beyond their control. For example:

  • serious illness resulting in extended absence from classes;
  • injury or disability that prevents the student from completing their program of study; or
  • other exceptional reasons at the discretion of the accountable officer.

In all cases, relevant documentary evidence (for example, medical certificate) is required.


If you are a student receiving Abstudy, Austudy or Youth Allowance for an approved course, you must immediately inform Centrelink when you withdraw from your course or reduce the number of hours of attendance.



Confidentiality statement

Any information supplied to South Regional TAFE will be protected and only supplied to parties entitled to it under State or Federal legislation.


Credit Transfer

Where a learner provides suitable evidence they have successfully completed a unit or module at any RTO, the college will provide exemption for that unit or module, providing that the unit is ‘like for like’ (deemed equivalent and current on

Exemption can also be granted for studies completed at any authorised issuing organisation, such as a university.

Suitable evidence includes:

  • AQF certification documentation issued by another RTO or AQF authorised issuing organisation.
  • Authenticated VET transcripts issued by the Registrar

The college will not issue a qualification or statement of attainment that is achieved wholly through recognition of units and/or modules completed at another RTO.

Students are not charged for credit transfers.

All students have the right to lodge a formal complaint against any decision including, but not limited to, fees, trainer/assessor statements or decisions (i.e., training), assessment results, competency judgements, discipline outcomes. This applies whether the decision was made by South Regional TAFE, its trainers, assessors or other staff, a third party providing services on the college’s behalf, a student.

South Regional TAFE will manage all complaints and appeals fairly, equitably, and efficiently as possible.  The college believes a student who lodges a complaint or appeal has the right to expect that every effort will be made to resolve it without prejudice or fear of reprisal or victimisation.

Confidentiality will be maintained throughout the process of a complaint or appeal.  South Regional TAFE seeks to protect the rights and privacy of all involved and to facilitate the return to a comfortable and productive learning environment. 


Assessment or academic appeals

When you start your studies, you will receive a Training and Assessment Plan from your lecturer that outlines the assessments you will need to complete, along with their due dates. These guidelines help you to ensure that you can complete assessments on time. You must complete all assessments successfully, to achieve competence.

Students can appeal against their academic result on the grounds that the decision as to whether competence has been achieved and demonstrated was either made incorrectly or not made in accordance with the Training and Assessment Plan provided.

The college allows appeals against assessment in relation to incorrect:

  • Resulting of units
  • Skills recognition
  • Exemptions and credit transfers
  • Competency judgements

Students have a period of two weeks from the date they receive their results to lodge an appeal against a decision given on academic matters. Students are required to complete and lodge an Academic Appeal Student Letter Template. Please find the template here (81 KB) (Word document).

The student should return the completed Academic Appeal Student Letter Template to Planning and Business Services via email (


Suggestions, problems, and complaints

South Regional TAFE welcomes feedback and encourages suggestions and complaints. If you have a problem, complaint or suggestion that you feel we should know about, please tell any staff member or speak to a member of the Student Services team.

You can lodge feedback directly:

•           by submitting your comments via a form on our website

•           ask for a hardcopy form at administration areas, Student Services or your lecturer

Privacy and confidentiality is assured. We only ask for you to provide your contact details on the form to enable us to tell you how we were able to respond to your feedback.

If you would like help to make a complaint or provide feedback, please contact Student Services staff via the contact details on page 6 of this handbook.

For more information visit


Late assessments

Extensions to assessment deadlines for medical and disability reasons, or other exceptional circumstances, can be granted. Inform your lecturer of your situation before the assessment is due and provide a medical certificate, letter from an employer, or other documentation as supporting evidence.



Students who have been assessed as not competent in any unit may request re-assessment by lodging an Application for Re-marking form within four weeks of the date of assessment notification. The re-assessment fee is $25 per unit, refundable if an assessment of competence is achieved.

Safety and health

We are committed to ensuring that staff, students and visitors are not exposed to anything in the work environment which may result in injury or harm to their health. Safety and health at work is both an individual and a shared responsibility of all and requires the co-operation and commitment of all staff and students.


Please do not ignore any potential health and safety issues if you see something that you think could harm you or others and you cannot eliminate the risk tell your lecturer, another staff member or inform Student Services. There is an Occupational Health and Safety Committee to deal with concerns relating to these matters.


Skateboards, bicycles and roller blades

For safety reasons skateboarding, cycling and rollerblading are prohibited activities within the boundaries of the campuses.


First aid and medical conditions

In case of injury you must report the nature of your injury to your lecturer or nearest staff member.

A number of staff hold current Senior First Aid Certificates and there are trained staff to deal with emergencies. First aid officers offer first aid only and do not provide any medications.


If you have a medical condition and need to take prescription drugs that could affect your safety, please notify your lecturer before commencing class. This will enable staff to provide appropriate and timely assistance and enable us to fulfil our duty of care responsibilities.

All information provided will be treated confidentially.


Injuries and losses

If you are injured or suffer a loss (such as stolen property) while on a premises, South Regional TAFE has no liability, and you should claim against your own insurance for restitution. If you believe the college has been negligent or breached its duty of care towards you, a claim in writing may be made to us.

The claim will be referred to the college’s insurer for assessment. As an apprentice, personal injury costs may be referred to your employer if on a worker’s compensation claim, and if you are on a work experience placement or excursion, the college will pay for medical expenses after you have claimed what you can from your health insurance cover.


Emergency and evacuation procedures

In the case of fire, bomb threats, earthquakes, floods, gas leaks or chemical spills. expect one of the following types of signal:

A series of intermittent beeps followed by verbal instructions

A whooping tone – the evacuation signal – followed by verbal instructions

A continuous whooping tone – evacuate immediately – no verbal instructions.

If you have a disability or medical condition and want to develop a personal emergency evacuation plan, talk to your lecturer.


Evacuation procedure

Staff will advise their students of the assembly point and the route to be taken to this area. There are Fire Wardens in each building who will assist with evacuation.

You should remain in your class groups to assist the identification of all people on campus.

You must not re-enter a building until instructed to do so by the chief fire warden.

Your lecturer will be the last to leave the room and will follow your group to the evacuation area. Go to the nearest fire exit in an orderly fashion. Do not rush.

Follow any instructions issued by fire wardens and close any doors on the way out. Be prepared to assist people with a disability, people who are injured or the elderly. When outside, go to the nominated assembly area and remain until the all-clear signal is given.

Do not leave the campus grounds or move vehicles until the all-clear is given.

After evacuation you will be formed into a group, the roll checked and medical assistance given if necessary.

You must stay with your group until notified otherwise.


Medical emergency procedure

In an emergency you should protect yourself from danger, ensure bystanders are not at risk and then look at assisting the casualty if you are suitably qualified to do so. DO NOT MOVE THE CASUALTY unless you are certain that there is no danger to them.

Notify a staff member immediately. We have first aid qualified staff to deal with an emergency.



Provision of security measures to ensure the safety of students on most campus is in place. If you are concerned for your safety at any time please inform a staff member immediately.

On Albany, Denmark, Katanning and Mount Barker Campuses phone Facilities and Services on 9892 8711, or Southcoast Security on 0417 964 102.

On Bunbury campus from 5pm to 10pm call the Night Guard on 0418 931 308 for assistance or an escort to your vehicle.

After hours on Collie campus contact Education Security on 9264 4632 who will contact will contact the after-hours Security Firm in your area and send them to your assistance.

After hours on Harvey Campus call Night Guard Security 0418 906 909


Children on campus

Students are not permitted to bring children on to campus ground or into classrooms - except under special circumstances and if prior permission has been obtained from the Director Training Services.

For Occupational Safety and Health reasons, children are not permitted to certain areas of the college under any circumstance.  These areas include workshops, laboratories and kitchen areas (including canteen kitchens).


Smoke free policy

This applies to all cigarettes, Electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes) and other personal vaporisers for delivery of nicotine or other substances.