Menu Menu

Student support

Student Services staff offer assistance or advice on how to overcome a range of issues which may affect your personal or professional goals while studying with us.  The helpful and supportive team are simply a phone call or office visit away.

During your training you may feel like giving up on your course and just ‘dropping out’.

There are all sorts of reasons for feeling this way, such as:

  • the course is not right for me;
  • the level is too hard; the workload is too great;
  • I have money problems; or
  • I have personal problems which are affecting my study.

Before you decide to leave your course, please have a chat with your lecturer or Student Services staff. There may be ways to get around or reduce your problem such as:

  • transferring to another course
  • reducing your workload
  • managing your time better
  • putting you in touch with expert counselling and support services
  • discussing financial hardship fee waivers

Our staff are very experienced at dealing with these issues and suggesting alternate strategies and they would love to help.

Student Support is coordinated by staff at our two largest campuses. Their contact details are:

Albany campus 6371 3722 or email 

Bunbury campus 6371 3245 or 0417 937 894 or email 

Our priority is to support Aboriginal students through enrolment and to ensure that Aboriginal people receive the support they need to graduate.  

Visit our Aboriginal Programs page for full details of our services.

A free student counselling service is available to enrolled students across all 12 campuses who are experiencing any difficulties that may affect their training.

A counsellor will meet with students in person or on the phone, and can also make referrals to community and health support groups and organisations.

There are two counsellors, who are each based in Albany and Bunbury.

The service operates between 8:30am and 3:30pm on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday each week that classes are scheduled.

How students make an appointment

Albany: Call 6371 3596  email or visit the counsellor’s office in D18.

Bunbury: Call 6371 3112 email or visit the counsellor’s office in the library.

South Regional TAFE welcomes all students and promotes an accessible and inclusive learning environment.

If you have a disability, medical condition, mental health condition or learning difficulty, you can use our free and confidential services to ensure you have access, support and equal opportunity to participate and succeed in your training course.  View (590 KB) (PDF document) our Disability Access and Inclusion Plan 2021-2026 (DAIP).

This support is available on all campuses. We encourage you to contact the college’s Student Services staff or Disability Officer to talk about the assistance you may need. Appointments can be made for regional campuses. We will work with you to meet your study needs.  

Support may include:  

  • Assistance with course selection and enrolment
  • Orientation to the college and facilities
  • Access to facilities and parking
  • Individual study support such as a note-taker, tutor or in-class assistant
  • Adaptive technology and software
  • Specialised and ergonomic equipment
  • Alternative formats for learning materials
  • Ongoing support
  • Assessment alternatives and adjustments.

Assistance Animals

An assistance animal may accompany a person with a disability to South Regional TAFE.

Please contact Student Services staff or the Disability Liaison Officer to make arrangements for your assistance animal to accompany you to classes. You will be asked to provide evidence that your animal is an assistance animal, and is trained to meet hygiene and behaviour standards.

TAFE Specialist Employment Partnerships (TSEP)

TSEP - What is it?

TSEP stands for TAFE Specialist Employment Partnerships.  Together with Forrest Personnel, the National Disability Coordination Officer Program,  and our Jobs and Skills Centres in Albany and Bunbury we are now offering this free employment service to support students with disability, an injury, medical or mental health condition to find employment.

Looking for work?

We help you to access employment opportunities that match your individual skillset and qualification.

Our free on-campus employment services can assist in sharpening your resume, improving your interview skills and building confidence to discuss your disability with employers.

Find out how an experienced disability consultant can help transform your career!

Watch this overview video of supports and benefits on Vimeo.(opens in a new tab)

To book an appointment call 1800 224 548 or email or call in to our Jobs and Skills Centres.

Who is eligible?

If you have a disability, injury, medical or mental health condition; permanent or temporary;  and are willing to develop skills to become work ready, this program is for you. 

Transition to Training

Many students have a disability, medical condition or mental illness that may impact on their studies and learning.

The Disability Liaison Officer and Student Services staff at South Regional TAFE can assist teachers, parents and students to plan for a successful transition to study at TAFE.

Transition planning may include:

  • Planning careers and training at the college
  • Visiting the campus and classrooms
  • Meeting the Disability Liaison Officer, Student Services staff  and course lecturers
  • Talking about how the student’s disability or medical condition impacts on their study, and what works best for them
  • Exploring assistive technologies, software and apps.

What Next?

Contact South Regional TAFE Student Services staff Bunbury campus – on 6371 3100 or 0417 937 894, or email  

Disability Liaison Officer  Albany campus 63713741 or email

All enquiries are confidential.

South Regional TAFE wants to make learning a successful and rewarding experience for all students. If you are having difficulties with your course, speak to your lecturer.

If you are studying at the college and become unwell or exceptional family or work circumstances disrupt your study, talk to your course coordinator about making flexible arrangements to continue your studies.

To find out more about how we can help you succeed, contact our Student Services staff or the Disability Liaison Officer.

All enquiries are confidential.

Study Skills

Learning Styles (opens in a new tab)  This quiz will help you find out how you learn best.  What senses you use to learn?  Knowing this will help you choose learning and study strategies that suit your learning style.

RMIT Learning Lab/Study Skills(opens in a new tab)   A resource to help improve your study, writing and math skills through interactive tutorials and printable handouts.

UNSW Academic Skills(opens in a new tab)   Online printable self-help guide to improve your study skills including referencing, report writing, grammar, oral presentation and more.

Read Write Now!

Need some extra help with your course material?

Read Write Now, a community organisation, can link you with a skilled volunteer tutor to work with you on your course or workplace requirements.

Read Write Now volunteer tutors provide free one-to-one assistance to adults wanting to improve their reading, writing, spelling, maths and IT skills.

Call Read Write Now (opens in a new tab)  on 1800 018 802

TAFE International Office

The International Office at South Regional TAFE provides support relating to your study or personal issues. College staff will be able to assist you with:

  • Advice on courses and pathways;
  • Your application for continuing enrolment;
  • Advice on change of course/ units pathways;
  • Updating your contact details (i.e. address, email, mobile numbers);
  • Monitoring your class attendance and progress and work with you through an Intervention Strategy in consultation with the lecturer if you are “at risk” of falling behind in your studies;
  • Overseas Student Health Care Information; and
  • Transperth information on public transportation (buses and trains).

Call 6371 3100 or email

TAFE International Western Australia (TIWA)

TIWA can also assist with a range of issues relating to your enrolment. You can find helpful information for current students at (opens in a new tab)  including:

  • Your enrolment;
  • Forms, publications and policies; and
  • How to pay your fees.

For information about finding accommodation or safety advice for international students please visit the Help and advice section (opens in a new tab)  of the TIWA website.

TIWA contact details

9218 2100 (opens in a new tab) (opens in a new tab)

Please make sure your email address is up to date as this is our primary method of contact.

Contact Details

Student Support (Albany campus)

Tel: 6371 3722 


Student Services (Bunbury campus)

Tel: 6371 3245 or 0417 937 894