Get started as a wool handler or a shed hand by studying the Wool Handling Skill Set.
You will learn how to assist shearing teams and prepare fleece wool for classing as well as how to carry out wool pressing.
Participants will also learn a range of shed duties including penning sheep, preparing facilities for shearing and crutching and monitoring the welfare of sheep.
On successful completion of this course, students will receive a statement of attainment for the following units:
AHCWOL308 Prepare facilities for shearing and crutching
AHCWOL311 Perform shed duties
AHCWOL304 Prepare fleece wool for classing
AHCWOL305 Prepare skirtings and oddments
AHCWOL310 Press wool for a clip
This course will be offered at these campuses: Narrogin
Study modes and duration differ depending on your local campus. Please check with your local campus for more information.
Student who meet one or more of the following eligibility requirements will be eligible for fee free (course and resource fee) training.
- Persons aged 15—24 years at the time of enrolment (excluding school students)
- Secondary school-aged persons who are not enrolled at school.
- Persons receiving the JobSeeker or JobKeeper payment.
- Persons and dependents of persons receiving the Youth Allowance, AUSTUDY or ABSTUDY.
- Persons and dependents of persons holding:
- a Pensioner Concession Card or Health Care Card; or
- a Repatriation Health Benefits Card issued by the Department of Veterans’ Affairs.
- Dependents of persons who are inmates of a custodial institution.
Students who do not meet one or more of the criteria listed above are able to enrol in the skill sets and pay the applicable course and resource fees in accordance with the Department of Training and Workforce Development’s current Fees and Charges Policy, available at dtwd.wa.gov.au.
No mandatory entrance requirements.
The course runs over five days and students are expected to attend every day, all day. There is an expectation that students will need to complete work outside of their timetabled class instruction. Regular attendance at all sessions is important to ensure all training is received, and for successful completion of the skillset.
Delivery mode and sites
The course will be delivered face to face on site. i.e. shearing shed, and/or classroom as needed for theory.
Study options and next steps
Click on your preferred study mode below to get started with your application or enrolment.