Permaculture is the conscious design and maintenance of agriculturally productive ecosystems which have the diversity, stability, and resilience of natural ecosystems. It is the harmonious integration of landscape and people — providing their food, energy, shelter, and other material and non-material needs in a sustainable way.
In this skill set you will design and install a permaculture system over a 9-week period, following the project from start to finish. Learn how to conduct basic soil tests and install water catchment systems such as swales and earth berms to ensure your new garden thrives.
Studying one day a week you will learn
- How to test, assess and improve your soil to suit the needs of your plants
- How to create a successful compost heap to give you a quick and easy source of compost
- What sort of pests and diseases you might find in your garden and how to design a system that reduces the need for pest and disease treatments
- How to successfully integrate animals into your system to save money on fertilisers and reduce labour needed in the garden
On successful completion of this course, students will receive a statement of attainment for the following nationally accredited units:
- AHCPHT215 Plant horticultural crops
- AHCPMG202 Treat plant pests, diseases and disorders
- AHCSOL203 Assist with soil or growing media sampling and testing
There are no mandatory entry requirements for this course
To be advised
* Indicative Fee Disclaimers
Fees and charges published on our website are indicative only, and are for the entire course for students enrolling on a full-time basis in 2022.
- Fees may differ between courses delivered at different campuses due to the elective units included in the course study plan or adapting courses to meet local industry needs.
- Fees may also differ for each individual student depending on the units of study selected, prior qualifications and recognition of prior learning.
- Fees are payable at time of enrolment.
- Proof of concession must be presented to access concession rates if eligible.
- For secondary school aged persons not enrolled at school (in 2022, students born on or after 1 July 2004 who are at least 15 years old) the maximum course fee chargeable in 2022 is $420 plus the resource fees and discretionary fees.
- Concessions and Secondary School Age cap do not apply to commercial courses (such as short courses), or Foundation Programs (ESL, General Education, etc.).
- Prices quoted include resource fees, but do not include material fees such as the cost of books, uniforms, and students personal equipment.
- The course fee cap applicable to Diplomas and Advanced Diplomas only applies during the current calendar year, so fees might differ for students enrolling in semester 2.
- VET Student Loans Eligible Courses and Caps may be subject to changes implemented by the Australian Government.
- Course information and fees are subject to change without notice.
- Depending on your circumstances, payment options may include paying fees via instalments or applying for assistance because of financial hardship.
- Visit the Fees and Payment Options page for further information.
Study options and next steps
Click on your preferred study mode below to get started with your application or enrolment.