Following on from our popular Digital Photography Fundamentals Beginners Workshop comes our Digital Photography Fundamentals Portraiture Workshop. This course oﬀers a blend of helpful theory in easy-to-understand terms, clear demonstrations and student practicals so you can learn how to put the theory into practice in a fun and supportive environment. Aimed at those who already have a good working knowledge of their camera, this course will guide you towards gaining further skills and confidence in this popular and engaging genre of photography. Course notes are included
Topics covered in this course include:
- Portrait styles: documentary, environmental, posed and candid
- Choosing the right equipment for the job
- Light quality, types and exposures
- Managing back-lighting
- Working with reflectors
- Composing/cropping in camera
- Learning camera-to-subject-to-background relationships
- Engaging with your subject
- Techniques for posing
- Working with props
- Getting close
- Telling stories - finding your style
- Reviewing your work and learning from feedback
- Storing your files
- Photo heros
This is a non-accredited Shortcourse
It is preferred that participants have completed the Digital Photography Fundamentals Beginners Workshop before enrolling in this course. Otherwise, a good working knowledge your camera in manual mode is essential.
**A DSLR camera or mirrorless camera with the option of manual mode, capable of manually adjusting shutter speed, aperture and ISO controls is essential for this course**
Lenses – interchangeable ones or broad range zooms
A flash if you have one (but not essential)
Reflectors if you have them (but not essential)
Image card, image card reader or camera to computer cord
Charged camera batteries and charger
USB or hard drive to store your files
Props if you want to work with them
The manual for your camera (most manufacturers have online manuals you can download via the web if necessary)
Your own laptop - essential
Pen and notepad
Good working knowledge of computers
Please familiarise yourself with your camera's manual prior to starting the course.
* Indicative Fee Disclaimers
Fees and charges published on our website are indicative only, and are for the entire course for students enrolling on a full-time basis in 2023.
- Fees may differ between courses delivered at different campuses due to the elective units included in the course study plan or adapting courses to meet local industry needs.
- Fees may also differ for each individual student depending on the units of study selected, prior qualifications and recognition of prior learning.
- Fees are payable at time of enrolment.
- Proof of concession must be presented to access concession rates if eligible.
- For secondary school aged persons not enrolled at school (in 2023, students born on or after 1 July 2005 who are at least 15 years old) the maximum course fee chargeable in 2023 is $420 plus the resource fees and discretionary fees.
- Concessions and Secondary School Age cap do not apply to commercial courses (such as short courses), or Foundation Programs (ESL, General Education, etc.).
- Prices quoted include resource fees, but do not include material fees such as the cost of books, uniforms, and students personal equipment.
- The course fee cap applicable to Diplomas and Advanced Diplomas only applies during the current calendar year, so fees might differ for students enrolling in semester 2.
- VET Student Loans Eligible Courses and Caps may be subject to changes implemented by the Australian Government.
- Course information and fees are subject to change without notice.
- Depending on your circumstances, payment options may include paying fees via instalments or applying for assistance because of financial hardship.
- Visit the Fees and Payment Options page for further information.