When you complete this course, you will be ready for a career in fitness. This qualification reflects the role of personal trainers who have specialist skills to train individual clients, or groups of clients, on a one-on-one or group basis, to improve health-related components of fitness in relatively low risk situations. This may include training of older clients and children. You will have the skills and knowledge to plan, conduct and evaluate exercise training; provide leadership and guidance to clients and other staff; and deal with unpredictable situations applying defined guidelines and procedures from the fitness industry and the organisation. They work independently or with limited guidance from others and use discretion to solve non-routine problems, including monitoring and managing business activities to operate efficiently and profitably.
The qualification does not provide the skills and knowledge for an individual to provide advice or exercise instruction to high risk clients, other than to refer the client to an appropriate medical or allied health professional. This qualification provides a pathway to work in a diversity of fitness industry businesses including fitness centres, gyms, aquatic facilities, community facilities and in open spaces, where risk management (through risk assessment and hazard control processes) does not already exist.
Working with Children and/or vulnerable People Requirements
Some sport, recreation and fitness qualifications include units of competency requiring students to obtain a Working with Children Card. Information on the units that have these requirements can be accessed from the SIS Training Package Implementation Guide
Study modes and durations differ depending on your local campus. Please check with your local campus for more information.
|School Leaver||Non-School Leaver||AQF|
|C Grades in Year 11 WACE General English, and OLNA; or NAPLAN 9 Band 8||C Grades in Year 11 English and Maths or equivalent||Certificate II or Certificate III|
Mandatory Entry Requirements
|Entry to this qualification is open to individuals who hold a current first aid and CPR certificate and have been recognised as competent through a recognised training program or recognition process against the following units of competency:|
|SISFFIT001||Provide health screening and fitness orientation|
|SISFFIT002||Recognise and apply exercise considerations for specific populations|
|SISFFIT003||Instruct fitness programs|
|SISFFIT004||Incorporate anatomy and physiology principles into fitness programming|
|SISFFIT005||Provide healthy eating information|
|SISFFIT006||Conduct fitness appraisals|
|SISFFIT014||Instruct exercise to older clients|
|SISXCCS001||Provide quality service|
- Fitness Instructor
- Gym Instructor
- Physical Fitness Trainer
Please note this list should be used as a guide only as job titles and qualification requirements may vary between organisations.
Jobs and Skills Career Connect Get that job! | Jobs and Skills WA
Study options and next steps
Click on your preferred study mode below to get started with your application or enrolment.
Albany - Full Time, Part TIme
* Indicative Fee Disclaimers
Fees and charges published on our website are indicative only, and are for the entire course for students enrolling on a full-time basis in 2022.
- Fees may differ between courses delivered at different campuses due to the elective units included in the course study plan or adapting courses to meet local industry needs.
- Fees may also differ for each individual student depending on the units of study selected, prior qualifications and recognition of prior learning.
- Fees are payable at time of enrolment.
- Proof of concession must be presented to access concession rates if eligible.
- For secondary school aged persons not enrolled at school (in 2022, students born on or after 1 July 2004 who are at least 15 years old) the maximum course fee chargeable in 2022 is $420 plus the resource fees and discretionary fees.
- Concessions and Secondary School Age cap do not apply to commercial courses (such as short courses), or Foundation Programs (ESL, General Education, etc.).
- Prices quoted include resource fees, but do not include material fees such as the cost of books, uniforms, and students personal equipment.
- The course fee cap applicable to Diplomas and Advanced Diplomas only applies during the current calendar year, so fees might differ for students enrolling in semester 2.
- VET Student Loans Eligible Courses and Caps may be subject to changes implemented by the Australian Government.
- Course information and fees are subject to change without notice.
- Depending on your circumstances, payment options may include paying fees via instalments or applying for assistance because of financial hardship.
- Visit the Fees and Payment Options page for further information.