Printing the course overview will compile the details for all availabilities into a single PDF file without the units attached. If you want to print the units out for one or multiple availabilities then select the checkboxes below.
This course is for those seeking to obtain the mandatory licence required to meet Health Department requirements for a Pest Management Technician licence if you are spraying chemicals for commercial gain.
If only a backpack or hand held device is used for spot spraying then this course is suitable.
It may lead to employment in Lawn & Garden, Landscaping, Bushland & Mine Site Rehabilitation.
Skills and knowledge elements include:
Common weeds found in WA
Common weed controls used in WA (following Integrated Pest Management strategies)
Safe disposal of chemical residue and containers
Correct Personal Protective Equipment for selected control measures
Understanding a chemical label, schedules and use of chemicals
Understanding Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS)
Groups of chemicals and their formulations
The Backpack course is held over three days, covering three units of competency.
Those that enrol in the Boomspray course attend the first three days and then two additional days to complete the extra three units.
BACKPACK SPRAY UNITS
If you are not seeking to apply for a Health Department license, then this course will give inexperienced participants skills and knowledge to apply chemicals safely.
It is recommended that participants completing this course have significant prior knowledge and skills in spraying chemicals if looking to obtain a spraying license for lawn and garden, landscaping or mine site rehabilitation through the WA Health Department.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE):
For the practical assessment you need to be in appropriate work wear and bring suggested items as listed below;
- long trousers
- long sleeved shirt
- enclosed shoes
- clothing to suit working in all weather
Resource Fees of $95 apply to this course
* Indicative Fee Disclaimers
Fees and charges published on our website are indicative only, and are for the entire course for students enrolling on a full-time basis in 2023.
- Fees may differ between courses delivered at different campuses due to the elective units included in the course study plan or adapting courses to meet local industry needs.
- Fees may also differ for each individual student depending on the units of study selected, prior qualifications and recognition of prior learning.
- Fees are payable at time of enrolment.
- Proof of concession must be presented to access concession rates if eligible.
- For secondary school aged persons not enrolled at school (in 2023, students born on or after 1 July 2005 who are at least 15 years old) the maximum course fee chargeable in 2023 is $420 plus the resource fees and discretionary fees.
- Concessions and Secondary School Age cap do not apply to commercial courses (such as short courses), or Foundation Programs (ESL, General Education, etc.).
- Prices quoted include resource fees, but do not include material fees such as the cost of books, uniforms, and students personal equipment.
- The course fee cap applicable to Diplomas and Advanced Diplomas only applies during the current calendar year, so fees might differ for students enrolling in semester 2.
- VET Student Loans Eligible Courses and Caps may be subject to changes implemented by the Australian Government.
- Course information and fees are subject to change without notice.
- Depending on your circumstances, payment options may include paying fees via instalments or applying for assistance because of financial hardship.
- Visit the Fees and Payment Options page for further information.
Study options and next steps
Click on your preferred study mode below to get started with your application or enrolment.