This course provides you with employment options and a way to increase your earning capacity by becoming as Aqua instructor in an industry that is rich in employment opportunities!
You are required to have a reasonable level of fitness and the ability to confidently swim 25 metres.
This course is 2 days face to face (theory and practical) with additional on the job practical assessments to be completed by appropriately qualified instructors post course.
- Basic water safety rescues
- Structuring aqua sessions including: planning, modifications and variety of styles
- Music mapping
- Active practical water sessions
- Face to face tuition with access to computers
- Fundamentals of aqua exercise
- Specific population groups
- Understanding medical conditions with exercise strategies
- Instructional presentation skills
To gain the competency in the Aqua instructor’s course, you will be required to complete all practical assessments within 3 months of the 2 day course.
BSBRSK401 Identify risk and apply risk management processes
HLTWHS001 Participate in workplace health and safety
SISCAQU002 Perform basic water rescues
SISFITT022 Instruct aquatic sessions for specific population groups
SISFITT008 Instruct water-based fitness activities
SISCAQU008 Instruct water familiarisation, buoyancy and mobility skills
Recognition of prior learning (RPL) and/or credit transfers (CT) enquiries for participants who completed previous studies are welcomed.
Please note that to be eligible for CT – the unit code MUST be exactly the same.
You are required to have a reasonable level of fitness and the ability to confidently swim 25 metres
You will need to bring with you:
- Pens, paper or note book
- At least 2x towels, bathers
- Appropriate footwear (gym shoes) and fitness clothing for on deck instruction
- Plastic bags for wet clothing
- Water bottles, lunch and snacks for throughout the day
Pre Requisites: No formal pre-requisites.
Unique Student Identifier (USI) number at the time of enrolment.
Current first aid and CPR certificates – or arrange training with another provider
Face to face delivery will be conducted at the South Regional TAFE, Bunbury campus (G Block) Fitness department. All practical sessions will be conducted at the South West Sports Centre (SWSC) aquatics area.
You will be required to complete and submit pre and post course work which includes:
- Participating in a minimum of 2 classes
- Preparing and planning an aqua routine
- Working side by side with industry colleagues
- Preparing and delivering a 15 minute aqua routine on pool deck to music
- Delivering 2 x 10 minute routines to aqua participants under supervision
- Completing provided theory assessments
- Demonstrate competence in water safety techniques
Study options and next steps
Click on your preferred study mode below to get started with your application or enrolment.
Available Semester 1 & Semester 2
Bunbury -Register your interest
|When||Available Semester 1 & Semester 2|
* Indicative Fee Disclaimers
Fees and charges published on our website are indicative only, and are for the entire course for students enrolling on a full-time basis in 2022.
- Fees may differ between courses delivered at different campuses due to the elective units included in the course study plan or adapting courses to meet local industry needs.
- Fees may also differ for each individual student depending on the units of study selected, prior qualifications and recognition of prior learning.
- Fees are payable at time of enrolment.
- Proof of concession must be presented to access concession rates if eligible.
- For secondary school aged persons not enrolled at school (in 2022, students born on or after 1 July 2004 who are at least 15 years old) the maximum course fee chargeable in 2022 is $420 plus the resource fees and discretionary fees.
- Concessions and Secondary School Age cap do not apply to commercial courses (such as short courses), or Foundation Programs (ESL, General Education, etc.).
- Prices quoted include resource fees, but do not include material fees such as the cost of books, uniforms, and students personal equipment.
- The course fee cap applicable to Diplomas and Advanced Diplomas only applies during the current calendar year, so fees might differ for students enrolling in semester 2.
- VET Student Loans Eligible Courses and Caps may be subject to changes implemented by the Australian Government.
- Course information and fees are subject to change without notice.
- Depending on your circumstances, payment options may include paying fees via instalments or applying for assistance because of financial hardship.
- Visit the Fees and Payment Options page for further information.